The Manhood Peninsula and the South Coastal strip generally has been well known for years for the highly productive clay soil and huge number of local horticultural growers that are located here. The small, family-run nurseries produce fantastic plants of all sorts which you can buy directly.
Buying directly saves resources for everyone, and it is a pleasure to be able to support the small businesses that are here. So when you come to stay at Chichester Self Catering why not ensure you have enough room to take some trays of young plants home with you?
The benefits of buying locally:
- saves you money
- you know what you are getting
- the plants are available to you when they are perfectly ready to be planted out
- saves car miles and travel expenses to large garden centres
- helps the local economy
- its fun going round the nurseries for yourself and choosing
- talk to the growers themselves about later cultivation
What they offer plants all year round and even Christmas trees!:
- Vegetable seedlings
- Vegetable plants
- Spring and Summer bedding
- Hanging baskets and plants
- Plug plants
- Tender shrubs
- Herbaceous perennials
- Geraniums ready for potting on or planting out
- Biennial plants
- Unusual plants which are difficult to source
- Growers knowledge about cultivation
My favourite local nurseries are:
- Bellfield Nursery – Bell Lane, Birdham. Facebook page: here
- Richardson’s Nursery – on the Birdham Straight. A286
- East Ashling Nursery – Lye Lane, East Ashling PO18 9DD
- Meadowgate Ornamental Grass Nursery, Street lane End, Sidlesham. 01243 641997
- Apuldram Roses, at the junction of the A286 and Del;l Quay / Apuldram Road
- Arundel Arboretum – just as you get to Arundel on the A27 on the South side of the road at the end of the dual carriageway (before the White Swan.) BN18 0AD This nursery does trees!
There are also specialist nurseries – for tall iris in Barnham amongst other specialists.
Of course there are the larger nurseries, and some of the large greenhouses grow industrially for them as well, but they buy in their plants – so try to buy local if you can!
© Chichester Self Catering 2017. All Rights Reserved.